Thursday, October 09, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Faux Chalk Effect Colouring with Monika


Hi, everyone. It's Monika back again with a couple of projects for you. My first project spotlights a set called Rosebuds and is designed by our own Shirley, The Bee's Knees ... Yay! It's due for release very soon.

Initially I wanted to try and recreate Shirley's sloshing by blending some inks. Well, what can I say, it didn't quite work, I'd better stick with what I do best LOL! Anyway this little experiment lead me to create the following card:




To start off, I roughly decided where the roses were going to be on my card. I then lightly applied some ink using shaving brushes, only colouring the areas where the rose heads and stems are going to be before blending some yellow around them. I then inked up my stamp with red and green, stamped the roses into position and added a little red to their buds. To finish, I stamped my sentiment in red, layered as shown and added some clear gems. As always, there is a little craft-along video talking you through my creative process.



For my second card, I used this month's Stamp Club set 'Joyful' plus the banner from the Vignette: Retro Mod Shapes.



First I stamped the banner and masked it off before using my brush to apply a dollop of green just above it on which I then stamped the wreath. I then stamped some of the sentiments (cheer, magic, wishes) across my banner, removed the mask and stamped the 'yuletide' sentiment in the center of my banner. Blended a touch of red at the bottom, added some faux stitching, matted and layered the panel, and added red glitter to finish. Quick and easy.

Looking at it now, I think it might have been better to colour fewer berries using a red gel pen rather than using the glitter. Nevertheless there are a few ideas in there you might want to pick up and make your own. Here is the little video that goes with it:


Hope you enjoyed today's offering. I shall be back in a couple of weeks...until then, have fun and happy stamping!!!

Monika




Stamps Monika used in today's project:

   stmp1077.jpeg   stmp1039.jpeg


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for October. We'll pick a winner and announce it on November 2! You can read more about it here.

12 comments:

  1. Ooo! I like the effect. It's very soft and messy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing how to get that effect- very nice. Love your two cards, especially the Christmas one x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely video, I like the way you add ink, I haven't seen anywhere before! I might try that right away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Your little experiment work here perfectly, love the way you blending the inks with a soft touch. Love both the cards!!! Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inking with shaving brush ,inetresing idea ! loved the effect on cards !

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice cards! thank you for the great videos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cards and videos that make casing so much more do-able! Thank you for the inspiration!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the soft chalky effect. Those rosebuds are lovely. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I love the first video you made Monika so soft color you create...I will take a try..thanks for sharing and second card is very festive lovely colors too Monika..love both...hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, simply beautiful cards!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)