Wednesday, October 15, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Nonni Makes Cards with the Christmas Stocking Stamp


Hi all friends of STAMPlorations! It's Nonni here playing with a Christmas stocking stamp from October stamp club set, Joyful! In my other card, I've also included a sentiment from the Holiday Sketches: Christmas Flower set.



Shall we take a closer look at the cards?




My first card is more embellished and has a vintage feel to it. I've paper pieced the stocking with white and dark red cardstock. Paper piecing is very simple: just stamp the image on two different cardstock and cut out the parts you want to have different color than your base (see photos below).

When paper piecing, sponging the small parts with ink that is darker than the paper makes a big difference. If you compare the not yet shaded red cardstock below and the finished stocking in my card, you will notice that the sponging is a must -- it gives a lot of shading and dimension! I also go through the fussy cut edges with a black pencil to "seal" the white edges. Paper piecing is a fun way to customize your stamped image!




The red half pearls in my card were originally white: I've colored them with a dark red Copic marker. You can color pearls or rhinestones with Copics or other alcohol markers to match your color palette. Fun, right?

The sentiment is heat embossed with white powder... And I think the twine and the doily were good embellies for the vintage look I was after.

Here's my more CAS second card!



In this card, I've colored the stocking with Copics (R27, R39, R59), added dots with gold gel pen and some golden Stickles and Glossy Accents to the details in the stocking (see close-up below). I've talked about coloring with Copics in a previous Spotlight Project here so I won't go into details now but as you can hopefully see, I shaded the left and right edges of the stocking. There's more shading on the left for added interest.

A quick way to decorate a CAS card base is to use scoring -- something that fellow DT girl Deepti often so skillfully does! I found a fun, golden miniature clothes peg from my stash and it gave me the idea for gold embossed sentiment and gold details with gel pen and Stickles.


Now you've seen both of my cards...Do you have a favorite? Happy stamping!



Stamps Nonni used in today's project:




Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for October. We'll pick a winner and announce it on November 2! You can read more about it here.

15 comments:

  1. Brilliant couple of projects. I especially like the second. The first inspires me to do a bit of paper piecing- it has been ages since I did that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, beautiful, stunning!! I can't wait for my stamp set to arrive. Love it.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing two different cards using the same stamp. Both are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. I love the one on white. Gorgeous. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are just adorable -especially the polka dotted one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the paper piecing one! Thanks for the tip about shading - I've never tried that. I can't wait to get my hands on this gorgeous stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are superb! The scoring adds a very nice dimension to make your card really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the paper piecing on the first one, the vintage feel along with a doily & twine. And love the scored lines on the second one, adding the golden peg and stickles really popped up the image!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute cards! I love the tip about the sponging.... it really adds a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two standout cards, Nonni! I especially love that they're cas! As for a favourite...nope! Adore them both!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun cards - My favorite is the one with the scored lines. Love that detail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really warm n cosy cards ! Loved your tips on paperpiecing will surely try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - these are two really great CAS cards - so glad to see them and how fun they are!! What a great idea to paper piece it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. woooww Nonni I love all...all with different style...great using that stamp on two cards I LOVE BOTH so adorable Nonni....

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)