Thursday, October 16, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shery Creates A One Layer Card Using 5 Techniques


Hello! I've got a one layer card featuring the Joyful set to share in this post. To create this card, I used 5 techniques: build-a-scene, masking, stenciling (I actually used the stencil in two different ways), coloring with alcohol markers, and watercoloring. Here's my card:



Here are the supplies I used:

  • Stamps: JoyfulSentiment Builders: Christmas & New Year
  • Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black (not in photo), Gray Flannel, Summer Sky; Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink; Distress Inks - Broken China, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot
  • Markers: Spectrum Noir (DR5, CR10, CT4, GB5, DG3)
  • Stencil: The Crafter's Workshop - 6" by 6" Aspen Trees
  • Liquitex White Gesso (not in photo)
  • Card Base: Canson - 140-lb Cold-Press Watercolor Paper

I started by trimming a 9" by 12" watercolor paper down to 5" by 12" so when folded in half, I'd have a 5" by 6" card. Instead of using the textured side of the paper, I used the smooth side. As I was going through my stencils, I found the aspen trees stencil. I hadn't used it before and I thought it was the perfect stencil to use with the sleigh stamp and create a snowy Christmas night scene.

Masking is my favorite technique to use when creating one layer cards. For this card, I started off by stamping the sleigh where I want it then creating a mask for it. With scrap paper, I cut a couple of slopes and covered the bottom part. 


I used the stencil two ways in this card. First, I used it the "normal" way: laying it on top of the card and then sponging Distress inks over it. Then, I used it as a stamp: I flipped the stencil over, swiped Black Soot Distress ink, spritzed a bit of water, and placed it over the card again and brayered over it to transfer the ink. The black ink didn't transfer all the way so the white areas look like snow.

I did some watercoloring on the snow banks using Memento inks, building up layers of colors and letting the inks spread and blend into each other. I mainly did it by painting water over the area and then dropping the inks on it.

As for the sleigh, I used Spectrum Noir alcohol markers and when I was done coloring, I touched up the areas underneath it and around the runners by watercoloring some more of the Memento inks. I also flicked some gesso over the trees to create falling snow. I finished the card by stamping the sentiment.

Here's my card up close:


And I've got a video showing how I put this card together from start to finish. It's just a little over 8 minutes long, in fast-forward motion, captioned, and accompanied by some lively silent film music.


Thanks for stopping by. Hope my project today has inspired you to try different techniques to create your cards. See you in a couple of weeks!



Stamps Shery used in today's project:

 


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for October. We'll pick a winner and announce it on November 2! You can read more about it here.

20 comments:

  1. great card- thanks for the video explaining how you made it- ingenious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Fantastic one-layer card and wonderful video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great one-layer card! Love the pop of the sleigh with the contrast of the woods behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that's fantastic. Love the trees. Off to study your video. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is amazing! I have that stencil and none of my cards where I have used it look like this, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, Shery! Love the way you used the stencil two ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Shery! Your card is awesome! Cards with scenes in them are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful card. I'm going to come back and watch the video when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! mind-blowing card Shery! and it is a one layer card! kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card! Love the tree background, and that beautiful sleigh! I'm going to watch the video now so I can get a better understanding of the technique! Thanks for sharing the details of how you made this pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tremendous job done Shery!! Fab night scene created with snow banks and love the shading under the sleigh, great technique! luckily I have this same stencil and try this technique! Thanks for sharing the video too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the tutorial - loved how you made such a stunning card
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderfull Card... and a big thank you for the Video
    CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is seriously some card making !! I loved the trees n the reverse stencling effect on them :) The whole scene looks fab !

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the master of one layer cards Shery!! Amazing card with all the different techniques that you've used. Love it!! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully done and I have to echo others on their comments of what a one layer card master you are!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great video! I was trying to figure out how you made the trees...this is a fab way to let them look verry real!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy smokes, Shery! An amazing card indeed - and one layered to boot! I'm in awe and I'm going to watch the video again! Love to see creative genius in action!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning scene Sherry I love the way you made the background...totally LOVE this..adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just finished looking at your Video
    WOOOOOWWWWW
    I never have time to put many details on my card.cause with two little boys not so easy Shery but I enjoy to see your creation (hmm but not your voice there but funny music remembering me to the music of Charly Chaplin film :) )
    Really much technique you showed on your card here I must try it one day and must buy some stencil LOL I have only three stencil and old brash stencil from year 2009 :-) thanks for the video Shery..

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)