Wednesday, October 08, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Goes Dashing Through the Snow!



Hi, peeps! I'm here with two masked cards for you, heavy on photos, light on words. Version two is first, for reasons that will become clear.

I've used the new Joyful set, which has four images and loads of grungy words to make up your own sentiments.



Stamp your image, mask it, then mask a border around your card.


Tear or cut some paper to make a hill mask. Sponge with Distress Inks. Remove hill mask and add light sponging in bottom left corner (not shown here but you can just see on next photo). Splatter water onto sponged area.


Re-align the masks and sponge to create two runner marks. Remove masks, align words into a wavy line, test stamp first to check spacing, then stamp over the sky. Colour sleigh and a use sparkly pen on sleigh runners - I used Sakura Gelli Roll Clear Sparkle.


So here's version one:



On this version, I didn't mask a border. I forgot to stamp the sleigh before masking, so I had less room to position the sleigh. Looks more like "Hurtling Down the Hill" rather than "Dashing Through The Snow"!


Here's a close-up of the sparkly runners.


Here's a sneak peek of another card using CityGirl from my range of The Bee's Knees stamps, available soon exclusively from STAMPlorations. Pop on over to my blog for the full version.




Stamps Shirley used in today's project:

     


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for October. We'll pick a winner and announce it on November 2! You can read more about it here.

23 comments:

  1. Fabulous cards. I love seeing your first version and how it evolved to the second version.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley, your cards are always so beautiful! I don't know how you always manage to create a piece of perfection - but I am so jealous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding my voice to the chorus of folks who think your cars are stunning! Love both versions...
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous cards as always Shirley ...... love your stamp designs too, they're definitely on my wish list! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun card! I love the sleigh and the sparkly runners! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a riot! I must admit I immediately thought of the The Grinch when I saw version one ;) The inking for those runner marks - perfectomundo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Shirley, for the tutorial! Will use definitely this trick for my Xmas cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your second version- What a fun scene with the dimensional look of the sleigh moving down the hill. Love how the sentiment stretches beyond the frame of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two lovely card with a dashing sentiment, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great masking techniques - your cards are super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantabulous!!! Your masking Technique is superb. Love the depth to create a fun scene. Love both of the versions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wunderschöne Werke und wie unterschiedlich die Wirkung ist ... genial
    TFS CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous! Love the sleigh tracks - such a crucial detail, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could see it dashing through he snow :) great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, you had me laughing at your runaway sleigh comment. Impressed with the runner marks but not sure how you achieved that. Off to have a play. Thanks for the step by step. I always stamp/mask in the wrong order so it was nice to see your process. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! Love the winter sky and the pretty sleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the pretty sleigh too and great coloring and lovely background you made...FABULOUS card dear Shirley I love this

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am impressed and love how these cards turned out!! You amazed me!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)